Not sure where to look for the best camping sleeping bag for your next trip? This guide should help you narrow things down. There are a lot of things to consider before buying a sleeping bag such as season, comfort, and personal preference.
|Exped MegaSleep +25/40 Reversible Sleeping Bag||Check On Amazon|
|Sierra Designs FrontCountry Bed 20||Check On Amazon|
|Teton Sports Polara 3-in-1 Sleeping Bag||Check On Amazon|
|Alps Outdoorz Redwood – 25 Degree Flannel||Check On Amazon|
|Nemo Forte Ultralight Synthetic Sleeping Bag||Check On Amazon|
|Teton Sports Regular Sleeping Bag||Check On Amazon|
|Kelty Galactic 30 Degree Down Sleeping Bag||Check On Amazon|
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 7 Best Camping Sleeping Bag
- 1.1 1. Nemo Forte Ultralight Synthetic Sleeping Bag
- 1.2 2. Teton Sports Regular Sleeping Bag
- 1.3 3. Exped MegaSleep +25/40 Reversible Sleeping Bag
- 1.4 4. Kelty Galactic 30 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
- 1.5 5. Sierra Designs FrontCountry Bed 20
- 1.6 6. Teton Sports Polara 3-in-1 Sleeping Bag
- 1.7 7. Alps Outdoorz Redwood – 25 Degree Flannel
- 2 Considerations for Buying the Best Camping Sleeping Bag
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 FAQ
Top 7 Best Camping Sleeping Bag
1. Nemo Forte Ultralight Synthetic Sleeping Bag
The Nemo Forte 20 is an ultralight backpacking sleeping bag that doesn’t make you choose between warmth, compression, weight or moisture. The Nemo Forte is ultra-light and ultra-compressible, leaving you with plenty of room in your pack for other essentials.
This sleeping bag is spoon-shaped, allowing all you side sleepers to comfortably shift without getting wrapped up throughout the night. The bag contours to your body and has added room at the elbows and knees, allowing you to roll without bringing the whole bag with you. This bag also includes a pillow pocket that allows you to stuff extra clothes or other items into to create something to rest your head on all night.
If you are worried about getting too hot in this bag, don’t. The Nemo Forte 20 is equipped with thermo gill technology that will vent out your body heat without letting cold drafts of air in. This sleeping bag uses PrimaLoft Rise insulation to increase heat retention and compressibility to ensure you are never cold.
This sleeping bag is perfect for campers that are looking for something lightweight that also offers warmth and compression. This sleeping bag offers everything you could want and is ideal for all camping seasons.
- Versions: Men’s regular and long; women’s regular and long
- ISO lower limit: 22°F (men’s); 10°F (women’s)
- ISO comfort: 32°F (men’s); 20°F (women’s)
- Weight: 2 lbs. 14 oz. (men’s); 3 lbs. 5 oz. (women’s)
- Insulation: PrimaLoft® RISE synthetic
- Sustainability attributes: Insulation contains recycled materials.
- Shape: Mummy
- What we like: A nice mix of comfort, weight, and packability.
- 3-Season Camping
2. Teton Sports Regular Sleeping Bag
The Teton Sports Celsius Sleeping bag is a synthetic camping bag. It is designed as a rectangular sleeping bag with a mummy shaped hood that helps to increase warmth in cold temperatures. This sleeping bag has extra insulation around the hood that helps block out the cold with a drawstring cord.
Price-wise, this is the best camping sleeping bag for cheap. At only $60, the Teton Sports Celsius delivers unbelievable warmth which is why it has consistently been a top-seller each year.
The Teton Sports Celsius is also great for comfort. It has a soft interior and unzips at the top or bottom for ventilation. The mummy-style hood maximizes warmth and prevents your pillow from getting dirty.
- Shape: Rectangular
- Temperature rating: 0°F
- Fill: Synthetic
- Weight: 5 lbs.
- What we like: Mummy hood increases warmth in cold temperatures.
- Great compression
- 3-Season camping
3. Exped MegaSleep +25/40 Reversible Sleeping Bag
The Exped MegaSleep Sleeping Bag is a creative design that is perfect for two people. This sleeping bag is lightweight and has a synthetic fill. This bag offers a lot of versatility and is very easy to work with.
The Exped MegaSleep bag is reversible allowing you to decide if you want a 45 degree rating or a 25 degree rating depending on which side you flip it. This sleeping bag can also be taken apart and used as two separate bags. One bag would have the 25 degree rating and the other the 45 degree rating.
Taking apart and reconnecting this sleeping bag is very easy and fast. The design of the Exped MegaSleep is very thin, making it very easy to move around while sleeping. The texture of the bag is silky and nice on the skin.
Since this sleeping bag is built very thin it is more ideal to use in the summertime. This bag is also not equipped with a mummy-shaped hood so it is more inclined to let cool air in. The silky interior also keeps the bag temperature cooler but this may not be ideal for colder seasons.
- Shape: Rectangular (double)
- Temperature rating: 25° and 40°F
- Fill: Synthetic
- Weight: 4 lbs.
- What we like: A double bag that can transform into two singles
- Lightweight and packable
- 5 year warranty
4. Kelty Galactic 30 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
The Kelty Galactic sleeping bag is a high performance down sleeping bag. This bag has a 30 degree rating, but its 600-fill high-performance down makes it feel even warmer than that. In order to ensure warmth all night long there is a cinch cord at the top to keep you cozy.
The Kelty Galactic sleeping bag is lightweight and compresses very well especially with the help of a compression sack. This bag is rectangular shaped and non-restrictive, so it is comfortable all night long.
The Kelty Galactic comes in three different lengths so you can find the perfect fit. It is key to find a sleeping bag that fits your height so you aren’t wasting body heat in an empty space. A down rectangular shaped bag is a rare find. Most rectangular-shaped bags have a synthetic fill for cost purposes, but down fills offer comfort and warmth that polyester bags cannot match.
- Shape: Rectangular
- Temperature rating: 30°F
- Fill: 550-fill DriDown
- Weight: 2 lbs. 10 oz.
- What we like: Cozy down insulation and a roomy rectangular shape.
- High performance down insulation
- Low weight
- Packs up small
- Rides fence between backpacking and car camping model
- Maybe allergenic to some
- Minimal features
5. Sierra Designs FrontCountry Bed 20
The Frontcountry bed from Sierra Designs has a unique design made to keep you warm no matter how you sleep. This sleeping bag is zipperless to provide ultra comfort. The Frontcountry bed is like a hybrid between mummy and rectangular-shaped bags.
The Frontcountry bed is ideal for side and stomach sleepers. It is roomy and has a built-in comforter. This bag has heavy insulation above your head to use as a pillow. You can cocoon yourself inside the bag, or sleep on top with the bag untucked. When untucked, this bag has special pockets to keep your hands warm.
- Shape: Rectangular
- Temperature rating: 20°F
- Fill: Synthetic
- Weight: 5 lbs. 1.5 oz.
- What we like: Roomier than mummy-style bags and the integrated blanket is great for varying temperatures.
- Self-sealing foot vent
6. Teton Sports Polara 3-in-1 Sleeping Bag
The Teton Sports Polara 3-in-1 Sleeping Bag is ideal for all camping seasons. This bag is so versatile it can adjust itself to several different temperature ratings. This bag has a rugged exterior and a soft and ultra comfortable interior with multiple layers to help protect you from cold air.
The Teton Sports Polara is large and roomy. It allows campers to customize the bag to their sleep needs and preferences. This bag includes three layers, a rough exterior, a thick insulation, and a fleece liner. With all of these layers, some campers may find they will not even need a sleeping pad as the bag itself offers enough cushion and support.
The fleece liner inside the bag is removable and easy to clean. This sleeping bag also comes with a compression sack to stuff your bag into.
- 0 degrees temperature rating
- Measured Weight: 8.3 lbs
- Style: Rectangular
- Includes a removable fleece liner
7. Alps Outdoorz Redwood – 25 Degree Flannel
The Alps Outdoorz Redwood sleeping bag is a rectangular-shaped bag that is built for weather-challenging climates and conditions. This bag is very cushy and plush, providing maximum comfort and warmth. This bag is heavy and feels like you have a weighted blanket on when sleeping.
This bag is most ideal for colder weather camping. Due to how plush and thick this bag is, it may be too hot for summer camping. The Alps Outdoorz Redwood bag is 100% cotton and ensures maximum heat. It is equipped with roll-up straps that make it easy to pack up and store this bag quickly.
- Warm and heavy
- Cotton flannel liner
- Well made and durable
- Thick canvas exterior
- Style: Rectangular
- Temperature Rating: 25 Degrees
Considerations for Buying the Best Camping Sleeping Bag
What kind of camper are you?
Sleeping Bag Temperature Ratings You Should Know (in Fahrenheit)
- Summer season
- you want +30 degrees and higher
- you want +15 degrees to +30 degrees
- you want +15 degrees and lower
Deciding which Sleeping Bag Shape is for you
- Offers plenty of room for stretching out and can sometimes be completely unzipped and used as a comforter
- Ideal for space and warmth
- This shape is often lighter in weight than others, is ideal or warmth and a snug fit
- Best for couples that plan on sleeping together
- Synthetic Insulation
- More affordable
- Continues to insulate if in wet conditions
- Down Insulation
- More lightweight
- Compresses well to save room
There are a lot of options to pick from when shopping for a sleeping bag, and a good night’s sleep is key. It is a hard decision that can change your entire trip, we hope this guide helps you find the best camping sleeping bag for you!
Which brand of sleeping bag is best?
Kelty, Alps Mountaineering, the North Face, Nemo Forte, and Teton Sports are some of the best sleeping bag brands.
What are the 5 types of sleeping bags?
There are different sleeping bag shapes such as rectangular, barrel-shape, and mummy-shaped sleeping bags. There is down or synthetic insulation type. The 3 basic categories are summer, three-season, and winter.